Let’s start with some facts and figures:
- 2.6 billion people depend directly on agriculture, but 52% of the land used for agriculture is moderately or severely affected by soil degradation.
- Land degradation affects 1,5 billion people globally.
- Arable land loss estimated at 30 to 35 times the historical rate.
- Due to drought and desertification each year 12 million hectares are lost (23 hectares/minute!), where 20 million tons of grain could have been grown.
- 74% of the poor (42% of the very and 32% of the moderately poor) are
directly affected by land degradation globally.
This desertification is not a climate thing, it’s a human thing! By cutting down the woods, performing mono cropping and using chemicals on big scale farmers have destroyed their land big time pushed by rules and subsidies.
If we consider the fact that we can transform a desert back into an eco system for 1billion euro per 1million hectare we need to acknowledge the fact that we need to take these costs into the economics of agriculture.
Even better: we need to start doing agriculture in a balanced and natural way. It means (believe it or not): more production per acre, more employment, more biodiversity and …more profit for the farmer. It just takes a little more attention, a little more organization and a little more know how in how nature works.
Stop industrial mono cropping right now. Start big scale eco restoration and big scale eco farming so we can feed the world a healthy diet in balance with our planet!
What do you think? Join us now